November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving at the Trailers

They may not be open for business on Thanksgiving day, but I bought my Cajun-fried turkey from Kate's Southern Comfort on Barton Springs Road this year and man oh man it smells divine.  Easiest $40 I've spent all month and it will feed my family for the next week.  While I was at it, I talked Katie into whipping me up a full pan of her Cajun bread pudding with Sailor Jerry Sauce.  Like a good daughter would, I went ahead and broke my diet to try a bite for quality control prior to bringing it home to my folks.  A quarter of the pan later, I told Kate she may have just got me an allowance with this savory spin on a southern tradition. 





Another Thanksgiving favorite this year has been the Turkey Mole tacos at Torchy's Tacos.  Torchy's recently won the meat category at the first-ever Gypsy Picnic with their green chile pork.  Other fan favorites include their fried avocado taco.  However, I am here to tell you that the Turkey Mole is hands down the absolute best taco I've had at Torchy's (and I sample them often).  Get your passport - this taco envelops Texas fried turkey in a Oaxacan mole sauce with Mexican rice, avocado, queso fresco, and fresh cilantro served on your choice of tortilla.  All that taco for a cool $4.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours from everyone on the Trailer Food Diaries team!