October 10, 2011

Bubba's BBQ in Cross Plains, TX

It isn’t uncommon for me to find myself lost, even in my hometown.  Even in very small towns.  So it wasn’t that big of a surprise that I missed my turn to my parent’s ranch and found myself approaching Cross Plains.  I usually can scoot through the country avoiding many of the main roads, so it had been awhile since I had been through ‘town’.  Just as I picked up my phone to let Mom know I was going to be a little late, I noticed a trailer off the side of the highway and hung up. 
Bubba’s BBQ was situated in a red trailer just off highway 36.  I left Levi in the car (with the windows down) and got out my camera to snap a few pics.  Since they were open and it wasn’t high feeding time, they welcomed the opportunity to chat.  Turns out, Bubba is a 22-year old entrepreneur who started his trailer food business when he was 18.  His grand-dad Sam had just gotten done plowing and was there to do most of the answering.

Bubba’s best seller at this location is his pork ribs.  He has a second location in San Angelo that does pretty well by their standards.  The family worked together to build the trailer in about 90 days and are fully certified through the Abilene health department.  Sam mentioned they use Oak to smoke their meats instead of Mesquite, which has been a source of food allergies for some.  When I asked what the difference in taste was, Bubba told me the Oak-smoked had a deeper, heavier flavor. 

Their rubs have no preservatives and they are proud of the quality and freshness of their foods.    While they raise Limousin cattle for auction, they do not slaughter their own beef.  They are building a little brick and mortar spot next door to the trailer and hope to move in soon.