Check back frequently for updates to this post with SXSW food truck info
Austin isn't just the live music capitol of the world, it's the trailer food capitol of the world too. Our food truck scene has much to offer by way of creative gourmet cuisine and rich histories that speak of the American Dream. There are several pods of food trailers spread throughout the city, and several of them have moved temporarily for SXSW entertaining. The closest naturally forming pods from the Convention Center are going to be on East 6th, just a pedi-cab ride away:
Look for the mustard-colored TFD shirt-wearing pedi-cabs to get you to any of the trailers...
Specifically, they are featuring rides to:
Way South Philly on E6th and Waller
Lucky J's Chicken and Waffles on E6 and Waller
That's Amore on E Riverside
Boss Hog's Kitchen on W5th
The Peached Tortilla - roaming
Yume Burger - roaming
I will be posted at the NBC Today Show Food Truck for the morning shifts on 4th and Trinity starting 3/10-3/13 8a-noon giving away free trailer food!
- CultureMap article on trailers you won't want to miss during SXSW. I compiled it based on a recent poll from the Austin Food Blogger Alliance - you might find our city guide helpful this time of year too.
- Here is a comprehensive post on East Austin Trailer Food, but there are several other pods you won't want to miss if you have time to do a trailer food tour.
Take home a Trailer Food Diaries Cookbook: Austin Edition as a souvenir, written by yours truly, a 4th generation Austinite who co-founded the Gypsy Picnic trailer food festival. You can pick up a copy locally at Book People, Whole Foods, Book Woman, all of the Torchy's Tacos locations and several other spots around town. You can even snag one at the airport on your way out of town. This edition is full to the brim with eccentric recipes and interesting stories about the trailer food vendors.
Keep up on twitter:
- Food Trailers Austin is providing a live twitter feed for the #SXSWtrailer Food Trailer Roundup
- A few of us in the trailer food community are using #SXSWtrailer on twitter - follow me at @trailerfood and watch the #updates.
- Also keep your eyes on @foodtrailersATX (Tony Yamanaka), & @austinfoodcarts (Mike Krell) for trailer food activity.
Trailer Location Updates
(Please email me if you'd like me to post info - email@example.com)
- Colibri Cuisine (@colibricuisine) is open daily 11a-3a at their location on w 6th and Nueces until the 18th of this month